[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 09:32:56 PST 2005

>Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> [2005.02.10] wrote:
>
>>Really? Who'd a thunk it! A fake that contains the real thing! (lol!)
>>I don't generally do milk or cream in anything except cold cereal and an
>>occasional latte.  I betcha almond milk *would* be good in Chai or tea,
>>though.....
>>

>Try cooking for people who are allergic to milk proteins. Did you know
>that many margarines lists "whey" as an ingredient?
>
>UlfR

This is going to sound theologically weird but practical:  look for
margarine marked Pareve [neutral on the Milk/Meat scale] for use by
persons keeping Kosher.  Either the word "Pareve" or the letter K in a
circle, accompanied by a letter P.  Not D, for Dairy.

I heard it said once that if the Jews gave out sainthoods, the first
would be to the guy who invented pareve margarine.  It has essentially
replaced chicken fat for bread-spreading as well as most cooking usages
except by the most devoted authenticity mavens [and grandmothers,
naturally!]

Meanwhile, back at Lent;  about three years ago I did a fish based
luncheon at Black Oak Lodge, which usually falls during Lent.  A grand
pot of bouillebaise-type fish stew with home made breads without fat.
 Quite sumptuous by modern standards yet satisfied my sense of
propriety.   Why is a nice Jewish Pagan girl practically the only cook
in Caid to pay attention to Lent?  It's a history thing, they don't
understand me.

Selene