[Sca-cooks] My experience with the Savory Tosted Cheese contest

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 10 06:35:20 PST 2005

Bill Fisher wrote:

>I wouldn't let it phase you too much.  It sounds like you intruded on
>someone's small domain that they wanted absolute control in and they
>handled it in a less than civilized manner.

Bingo! Beware the small person (not referring to physical stature) given
any kind of authority. The fact that she says she was personally "hurt"
because you broke a rule in a melted cheese contest is indicative of a
need for counseling.

Christianna is right, the SCA does not have a lock on the market for
this kind of behavior. Once not longa ago, a facilites manager tried to
shut down a series of demos and presentations we were having for a
delegation from Taiwan because she had not gotten a *copy* of the form
reserving the space. She knew we had reserved it, since it was in the
system, but she did not get her copy (she was out sick the day we
registered, her boss had done the paperwork). The fact that she was
throwing a temper tantrum in front of a dozen university presidents and
deans from Tiawan as well as the Tiawanese Consul and two senior members
of our (US) State Department didn't seem to phase her a bit.

Even the slightest challenge of someone like that's authority will
usually result in an outburst that can be charted on the Volcanic
Explosivity Index. Which may be why there were so few entries. They knew
her better than you did.

Aoghann