[Sca-cooks] Okay Harlien MS 279 & Harl. MS 4016

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Feb 12 07:23:26 PST 2005

Also sprach Micheal:
>Actually I was looking for more primary and secondary sources then
>the 2 15th century cook books. Which although very good books are
>the source for multitude of other papers of the same topic. I have
>copied or downloaded the books them selves or at least what's up on
>their web pages. Thank you I will hunt your Florilegium some more as
>well for other sources. Although you should stick a visit counter on
>that work you may be surprised how much it is used. Is there any
>topic you don`t have in there as articles.
>Da

Perhaps the "dead end" you're running into for finding earlier
references to Great Pies is that the concept may not be English,
originally. There appear to be somewhat older recipes for the kind of
huge pies with multiple filling ingredients, but they're in French,
Italian, and perhaps ultimately, Middle Eastern sources.

I know that Chiquart writes extensively on Pies of Parma in Du Fait
de Cuisine (he gives long, huge, and very detailed accounts for both
meat and fish-day versions), and that's just a little bit earlier
than the T15CCB references to Grete Pyes/Pyes of Parys. There seems
to be no reference to such a dish in The Forme of Cury, which is
surprising, but there's a recipe for Tourtes Parmerienne in the
Viandier de Taillevent (late 14th-century French), and I vaguely
recall some reference, at least, to them in the Enseignements, which
is earlier still.

I remember reading, a couple of years ago, I guess, a fascinating
article in Petits Propos Culinaires about the origins of the huge,
multi-layered pie (I forget exactly when, or which issue... Johnnae?
Can you help us out with a pointer here?). Anyway, the article
suggested the origins of the dish could, originally, be Greek or
Middle Eastern, if I'm remembering it correctly.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04