[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Feb 12 13:32:51 PST 2005

At 09:43 AM 2/12/2005, you wrote:
>Curiously, there is some current scholarly work based on document
>evaluation of Paul's writings that suggests that most if not all of Paul's
>condemnation of women was written by other parties and that Paul was
>radical in his ideas on equality and the structure of Christian of
>Christian society.  There is evidence that there was a social equality
>between men and women in the early Christian Church which was forced into
>the modern patriarchal form to make the religion more palatable to Roman
>society.

I've seen it too, and it does make some sense- the Romans weren't happy
with the Christians because they departed from the cultural norms (greater
autonomy for women, freeing slaves, refusing to participate in civic
festivals that involved the Roman gods, etc).

>There are a couple of books, one dealing with Jesus and the more recent
>with Paul that present the evidence and the arguments.  I don't recall the
>author or titles offhand, because it is not a specific interest of mine.

I don't remember either. If/when I do, I'll post the bib.

Lainie