[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Feb 17 11:42:32 PST 2005

Also sprach Micheal:
>I working away in my kitchen one day when a thought hit me.  It hurt
>( before anyone else gets it)You know they had pots and pans made by
>hand. Why wouldn`t they have used such for a shaping mold.  Flip the
>pot  bottom side up. Take the pastry throw it on top of your
>cleanest pot of appropiate size. Shape drop it on the counter fill
>it  cap it oven it. Much faster operation for simple day to day .
>Much faster then all the hands on methods I have been reading. May
>also explain why there are no molds to be seen or to be questioned
>about. I realy have a hard time believing they liked to work any
>harder then we do. Another project to look at maybe.
>Da

They probably did have the pastrycook's equivalent of raising stakes,
and the process of wrapping dough over and around one probably very
much like raising a knee cop. Modern instructions for working with
hot-water pie doughs often include using something like a large glass
jar as a form, but I believe I have an old (semi-old, probably 1940's
or so) English professional baking manual/textbook which mentions
using a wooden form, presumably a cylindrical block with smoothed
edges, on a stick, to form the pastry cases for small pork pies.

But I was always struck by the period instructions to "raise a
coffin", and always had a feeling the verb use was functionally
identical to the verb usage wherein an armorer raises a cup-shaped
piece. [Note that the recipes don't say to "dish a coffyn in a trap";
they say to "raise" it... ;-)  ]

Speculation, yes, but interesting nonetheless.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04