[Sca-cooks] recipes without honey

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu Feb 17 18:20:32 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/17/2005 8:16:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Morses3 at aol.com writes:
Her concern is that with the prevalence of honey as a sweetenerin our period,
that she wouldn't be able to find enough recipes to cook to offer an
alternative "sweet" dish in her feast menus that those people could eat that she could
still serve to everyone. Any thoughts?

Geoffrey

Perhaps I'm speaking out of ignorance, but wouldn't a sweet dish HAVE to be
sweetened with either honey, sugar or in I assume rare cases, rendered fruit
juices? And wouldn't all these be about equally a problem for diabetics? Stevia
didn't show up until the nineteenth century for most of us, and they didn't
really refine it until the twentieth. Aspertaine, splenda and cyclimates are all
twentieth century innovations...

I DO know that in certain cases, cinnamon supposedly helps with sugar
assimilation, but I sure wouldn't count on that.

Just saying....

I think I'd take another route and try fresh fruit, something like
strawberries that are low in the glycemic index, maybe with unsweetened whipped cream.

Corwyn

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences. -- P. J. O'Rourke