[Sca-cooks] recipes without honey

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Thu Feb 17 22:27:25 PST 2005

CorwynWdwd at aol.com <CorwynWdwd at aol.com> [2005.02.18] wrote:
> Her concern is that with the prevalence of honey as a sweetenerin our
> period, that she wouldn't be able to find enough recipes to cook to
> offer an alternative "sweet" dish in her feast menus that those people
> could eat that she could still serve to everyone. Any thoughts?

Well, I normally cook from the Forme of Cury, Two Fiftenth Century
manuscripts and similar sources. When I pack for a feast I tend to pack
more ginger than sugar, and most honey goes into peoples tea with
breakfast. Things like tarte de bry has a few tablespoons at most of
sugar in it, and creme boylede has 1-2 T for 1 litre of cream. Most
dishes contain no (added) sugar at all.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
The most sublime act is to set another before you.  -- William Blake