[Sca-cooks] fire-irons/salamanders and torches

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Feb 21 17:54:16 PST 2005

kattratt wrote:

> Stefan I know that you can use a Propane torch

[snip]

> Those torches are actually very handy in the kitchen.

> They work great on Creme Brulee,

Provided the torch wielder knows what he is doing.

I was served a Creme Brulee at a 'French Restaurant' in
Annapolis, MD that missed that knowledge requirement by
a very wide margin.

Burnt custard does not a Creme Brulee make.  I'm not
kidding, there were several chunks of black/burnt
custard almost the area of a dime.

... and telling me, "You are not very sophisticated, zat
is ze way we do eet een France" didn't work either.  <g>

OTOH, I have seen it work correctly at a table service
presentation (no, not in France, but in Michiana).

I wasn't able to find a picture of the one I saw that time
... it had a propane canister, not the standard torch, but
burned a small narrow flame.

Other examples ...

BonJour Creme Brulee Torch (butane)
http://www.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catalog/pcd/7510120/ccsyn/260/_x_/Tabletools-com-BonJour-Creme-Brulee-Torch

The Creme Brulee Torch (also butane)
http://www.kitchen-classics.com/cremebru.htm

[snip]

> Lord Nichola

[snip]

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick