[Sca-cooks] Sideboards....

Jonathan and Rebecca Barber barber at runbox.com
Sat Mar 5 17:36:02 PST 2005

What kinds of things do you put out on sideboards/dayboards?

So many places do cheese and hard boiled eggs and bread and not a lot else and I am looking for some better ideas but hopefully less-expensive ones.

My standards are a beef-barley soup (loosely based on a quote from Platina.  In a section on Groats he says “From groats, rice and pearl barley he (Celsus) says the best broths and gruels are made”.   I also try to put out a vegetarian soup as well.  Platina also has a nice Broad Bean soup.

I'm not tied to an area or writer however.  Anywhere/time is fine.  My key is to make it tasty, warm, easy and relatively inexpensive.

Ideas?

Ru