[Sca-cooks] Sideboards....

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 18:30:12 PST 2005

Ru, if you are responsible for the beef and barley soup I had at Autocrat's Point Saturday morning at Estrella after coming off an eight hour shift, I not only salute you, I bow at your feet in gratitude.  It came at just the right time, and managed to warm all the cold spots.  Thank you,
Mordonna

Jonathan and Rebecca Barber <barber at runbox.com> wrote:
What kinds of things do you put out on sideboards/dayboards?

So many places do cheese and hard boiled eggs and bread and not a lot else and I am looking for some better ideas but hopefully less-expensive ones.

My standards are a beef-barley soup (loosely based on a quote from Platina. In a section on Groats he says “From groats, rice and pearl barley he (Celsus) says the best broths and gruels are made”. I also try to put out a vegetarian soup as well. Platina also has a nice Broad Bean soup.

I'm not tied to an area or writer however. Anywhere/time is fine. My key is to make it tasty, warm, easy and relatively inexpensive.

Ideas?

Ru