[Sca-cooks] Sideboards....

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Mar 5 18:49:11 PST 2005

> What kinds of things do you put out on sideboards/dayboards?
>
> So many places do cheese and hard boiled eggs and bread and not a lot else
> and I am looking for some better ideas but hopefully less-expensive ones.
>
> My standards are a beef-barley soup (loosely based on a quote from
> Platina.  In a section on Groats he says "From groats, rice and pearl
> barley he (Celsus) says the best broths and gruels are made".   I also try
> to put out a vegetarian soup as well.  Platina also has a nice Broad Bean
> soup.
>
> I'm not tied to an area or writer however.  Anywhere/time is fine.  My key
> is to make it tasty, warm, easy and relatively inexpensive.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Ru

Last Saturdays Sideboard (Practicum, Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere):

Wastel Bread & Butter
Kraftsman Dinner 1
Sausages from Little Italian Beasties
Honey Mustard
Torta of Onions 2 (with and w/o Pancetta)
Strawberry Tarte 3
Apple Cordial

1 Makerouns, Forme of Cury, 1390
2 Libro di Cucina del secolo XI, 14c, Ludovico Frati, editor
3 The Good Huswifes Jewell, 1585, Thomas Dawson

Everything vegetarian friendly but the sausages and overall, not
particularly period. I usually do something a little more authentic, but I
was hurried on this one.

I actually hate the typical sideboard faire (i.e.: Ploughman's Lunch - been
done to death). Not that I hate the food, its just that I see this as a
another venue to "stretch" a challenge so why not take advantage of it.
Practicum is not a large event (130 attendees, 60 for lunch), and we had a
budget of $200.

Micaylah