[Sca-cooks] OP - MasterCook version 7.0 available inexpensively

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 00:02:00 PST 2005

--- "Mark S. Harris" <MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Folks have talked about the Mastercook recipe program on this list
> before. Those reviews were one of the reasons I bought this program a
> about two years ago.  Someday I'll get around to finding my copy and

Nice deal. I like the Mastercook program, though I haven't used it in many years.  If this version
is simply an update of previous versions, then the shopping list feature may be quite useful for
SCA feast cooks.  The earliest version of this program was incapable of converting ounces into
pounds or querts/gallons,  so your shopping lists would read something like "145 oz Chicken Stock"
or somesuch.  Later versions fixed this problem.

Along these lines, there was a program I recieved for evaluation several years ago which made a
decent attempt at 'guesstimating' things like 'bunches' of green onions, cloves of garlic, etc for
the shopping lists.  The documentation indicated that the program designers had weighed hundreds
of bunches of green onions, hands of ginger, bunches of asparagus, etc, and averaged the weights
and volumes.  A few of the items were spot on, and a few were off, but not by much.  It was very
easy to use, with drop-down ingredient lists (type in the first few letters, and the dialog box
would offer extensive suggestions from the database), and volume estimates for things like small
dice carrots, medium dice carrots, etc.  Lots of research went into it, but I never saw a
commercial release.  My evaluation copy expired after 4 months.

William de Grandfort

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.