[Sca-cooks] OT mail question

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 10:44:43 PST 2005

I haven't much experience with other ISPs, but
I have been with Yahoo for many years now,
even though my ISP provides me with e-Mail
access, I still use Yahoo mail.  Why? Because
Yahoo has great spam blockers that don't
usually include my friend's addresses and
because if, using the Adamantius example,
I get a message with an attachment from him,
Yahoo has a program that will scan the attachment
without opening it.  I can therefore tell
whether it is virus/worm laden without any
risk.  99.9% of the time the attachments I
get are worm laden.  Another clue is to look
at the size of the message.  If the message
is between 39K and 41K, it most likely is
worm/virus laden.

I am not part of the Yahoo company other than
being a satisfied user.

Huette

--- Sandra Kisner <sjk3 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> >I received a note, suggesting that I not open
> attachments...maybe I'm
> >lost...I thought it was only don't open
> attachments if you are unaware of
> >the source....
> >
> >-Ardenia
>
> Since addresses can be spoofed, it's now
> recommended that you not open
> *any* attachments you aren't expecting.  You
> can always write the sender
> and ask if they really sent it to you if you
> don't know what it is.  If you
> had asked them to send it to you in the first
> place, though, you're
> probably ok.  It's also a good idea for people
> who are sending files to be
> sure they have very specific identifiable
> names, not just something like
> "holiday_pics" or "good_times".
>
> Sandra

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.