[Sca-cooks] De Camp was distilling wine

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 13 22:28:23 PST 2005

>De Camp wasn't a member of the SCA (AFAIK) although he had a number of
>friends who were.  He was more active with the Hyborean Legion (Robert E.
>Howard fandom).

>Bear

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. De Camp and his lovely wife a couple
of times at conventions. Mainly because he never failed to attend the
lecture of Lloyd Eaker, my master, in the reality of historical combat.

The lecture was on history, battles, fighting tactics etc... including
really
hitting him with steel and such.

L. Sprague de Cam always sat in the front row and would sit and talk
with us for hours about history and the reality of combat.

It always felt like an honor just to chat with him. After all, this man
was one of the two who brought Conan to life for me.

Gunthar