[Sca-cooks] Re: Books for Cooks at British Library

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Mar 14 10:47:51 PST 2005

I realize I did the original message about the books for cooks at
the British Library and then disappeared from the conversation.

During my time away at the RUSH/RUM in Iowa (which was something
like 950 miles round trip for me-- drive out, spend night, teach two
hours, drive back home all within 38 hours)-- there were various
communications
as regards the project.

Professionally speaking, I was excited by the idea that they are
reproducing some
of these rare, one of kind works and making them available via digital
facsimile.
I don't care so much about the text explaining the recipe or medieval foods.
That's not as important in the long run. We can do our descriptions.

It's the actual item, the actual recipe from the actual manauscript and
it's there for the world
to see.

Let's hope they do more.

Johnnae