[Sca-cooks] extant medieval Saltcellars

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Mar 21 10:02:04 PST 2005

One can search under the words salt cellar as a Google
images search. That turns up the Renaissance Cellini example.
How elaborate did the Master Pewterer want to be?
Another  great source is the V&A images file--
http://www.vam.ac.uk/    look under collections and click on
Access to Images
There are a number of elaborate ones displayed there.
The British Museum also has a few images up including a lovely 16th century
page featuring 3 drawings under
Giulio Romano, Three Shell-Shaped Salt Cellars, pen and ink wash designs

Italy, AD 1530s

Go to http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/sitemap/sitemap.html
and insert the terms salt cellar to see a slection.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae
I am tempted to say that I'm not a Lister-- I'm a Librarian....