[Sca-cooks] Re:Sugar

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Mar 24 08:00:24 PST 2005

wildecelery at aol.com wrote:

> more on sugar...
>
> 1. Can anyone give me a heating temperature for poured sugar?

Poured sugar that sets up hard like lollypops or suckers--- 305 degrees
is what I use. That's a professional recipe using cane sugar and corn syrup.

> 2. Any opinions on using mini-muffin pans to make poured sugar"coins"

Pam spray it and try one or two. They may or may not release depending
on type
of material the mini-muffin pan is made from. Non-stick may relase
better than used
beat up older pans. There are new silicone molds that may work well for
this.

> So I started the crystal process today...we'll see....
>
> I heated the ginger sugar to 225...and it started to harden before i
> ven got the strings in, so I had to add water and try reheating it a
> bit higher
>  The rose sugar got up a bit higher(about 235) , and seemed to have a
> better chance
> The lavender sugar was in a metal pan, so ended up significantly
> hotter...260ish... so we'll see what kind of action we have when I ge
> home
> One question: My house is about 60 degrees ...should  I putposely
> place the solutions somewhere warmish?
> I used the "culturing' suggestion to get it started a bit faster....
> -Ardenia

Don't be surprised if this sets up totally hard or crystallizes into one
solid mass. Just
a warning.

Johnnae