[Sca-cooks] Spring/Easter pies?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Mar 27 06:38:12 PST 2005

The traditional Spring/Easter pie in my family was always Ohio Lemon
Pie, which is made with whole lemons, thinly sliced, macerated in sugar,
and then combined with beaten eggs and baked in a piecrust (with a top
crust, as well).  The lemon juice and eggs and sugar make a yummy
custard, and the rind and peel inclusion help ensure that the pie's not
overly sweet.  The secret is to get the lemon slices seriously thin, or
the pie kinda ends up chewy. <g>
I saw, just recently, an almost identical recipe for it that called it
"Shaker Lemon Pie."  We do not have Shakers OR Ohioans in my family, so
I have no idea where we acquired this recipe, but it's very tasty.
Hmmm....now that I can have eggs again, I might have to make one this week.
Mmmmm......
Maire, off to contemplate having a piece of chocolate.....