[Sca-cooks] OT: Another Japanese cooking contest show

Judith Kingsbury miriambaslevi at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 10:47:36 PST 2005

Hi Stefan,

The cook talks about Norwegian history--from the ancient to the modern not just the Viking period, which is one of the reasons why I enjoy the show.  Plus I want to steal his traveling kitchen set-up, because it looks so nice and clean and portable.  Big grin, so now my husband Eoin knows exactly what I want him to build.  Even bigger grin!

He goes over traditional recipes using period ingredients plus modern ones using ingredients from all over the world.  They had a whole episode on salt cured and smoked fishes that we just adored plus a snippet in one of the shows that was truly horrifying about fermented trout that was supposed to taste like some kind of nasty cheese.  It made lutefisk (sp?) sound absolutely edible.

Miriam

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
Miriam commented in reply to Adamantius:
> Laughing out loud, oh yes! That is the one and we love it! We've seen
> more of Norway than we have ever seen before, plus he does talk a bit
> about the history of Norway just to keep us glued watching the show.

Does he talk any about the history of Norway after the Viking period
has ended? If you were to judge from much of the SCA, except for a few
unusual folks like Count Gunthar, all life ended in Scandinavia when
the Norse period ended. :-)

Stefan
--------
Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas