[Sca-cooks] Uses for rice flour?

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Mar 29 06:35:12 PST 2005

> Margaret Fitzwilliam said in her original message:
>
>> >I have a
>> > canister of some substance, in the quantities that would suggest it
>> > came in a 5-pound bag, that I can't identify. It might be rice flour.
>
>> Well, it's in my baking cabinet, so it is edible. I know a number of
>> things which it is *not*, because they are labeled or they live in their
>> original packaging. It's probably been in there at least six months, but
>> no longer than a year. I don't usually cook with rice flour, but I can't
>> think of anything else it might be, which is why I was wondering if
>> there was a good way to tell what it was.
>
> Five *pounds* of rice flour? The main thing I've heard rice flour mentioned
> for here on this list is as a thickener. And that seems like an awfully large
> amount of thickener. Or are there some other uses of rice flour? Noodles,
> perhaps?
>
> Stefan

If you buy rice flour at my local Asian market, which, if this is indeed
rice flour, is where I bought it, it comes in 5-lb (or, more likely, some
similar measurement of kg) bags. :-)

If it's rice flour, it will get used in the mochi experiment. I had class
last night, and again tonight, so I haven't had the chance to play with it
to see if it is indeed rice flour. I suspect strongly that it is, I was
just looking for a way to confirm that.

Margaret FitzWilliam