[Sca-cooks] OOP New Topic: Ice Cream

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 6 14:10:29 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----

Having just absconded with one of several ice cream makers lurking in my
mother's basement, I'm now on the hunt for good recipes.

This is the kind of ice cream maker that has an inner shell filled with
liquid that you freeze and a hand crank beater.  The box says it has a 2
pint capacity.

I know there are two kinds of homemade ice cream bases - one with eggs and
one without.  Any suggestions as to the advantages and disadvantages of the
two?

Anybody have any particularly good recipes?  I'm particularly looking for an
almond ice cream - not one with big chunks of almond, but a good almond
flavor.

Thanks, and Happy <insert Springtime holiday of your choice here> Weekend!

 -Helena > > > > > >

As witrh any topic, you can find out as much or as little as your heart
desires.  There is a powerful struggle amongst the ingredients in the
formation of ice crystals in the base mixture.  Water wants to form nice,
big, chunky crystals.  Our desire is a smoother mouth feel and smaller, less
obsequious crystaline structure.  Sugars and fats will help control
crystalization  . . . as well as speed of the freeze.

The eggs in the "french" base tend to make basically a creme englaise that
is used for a custardy flavored ice cream.  They help with the creamy
mouthfeel as well as smaller, slower crystals of ice.  You can get the
same/similar texture with a "philadelphia" style base that has no eggs.  It
takes a patient hand, knowledge of your ingredients and stricter control of
the freezing temps.

This is just basics that I have learned.  Believe me that there is a whole
science world out there about frozen desserts and the molecular interplay
that can improve your product . . . or destroy it.

Almond milk may give you an interesting flavor, as will almond extract and
chopped or slivered toasted almonds.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco