[Sca-cooks] fat substitutions in recipe???

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Apr 28 18:12:23 PDT 2007

--On Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:57 PM -0600 Sue Clemenger
<mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure....He just said "cheesecake."

This could be the White Torta from Platina. The translation in Cariadoc's
Miscellany has this:
Prepare a pound and a half of best fresh cheese, chopped especially fine.
Add twelve or fifteen egg whites, half a pound of sugar, half an ounce of
white ginger, half a pound of pork liquamen and as much fresh butter. Blend
in as much milk as you need. When you have blended this, put it into a
pastry crust rolled thin and put it all in a pan and set it to bake on the
hearth with a gentle flame. Then, to give it color, put coals on the lid.
When it is cooked and taken from the pan, sprinkle ground sugar over it,
with rosewater.

I've done a variation of this recipe using all butter, and it's quite good.

toodles, margaret