[Sca-cooks] A Question about farmer's cheese

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 23 08:34:14 PST 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 10:08 AM, Jennifer Carlson wrote:

> There are two different styles of cheese labelled "Farmer's Cheese" that show up at my supermarket.  One is a firm cheese, with a consistency like Monterey Jack, but with a milder flavor, and is available year-round.  The other, which only shows up a couple of times a year, is packaged like Philadelphia style cheese, and has a consistency between that of cream cheese and drained ricotta.
> My question is: when a recipe calls for farmer's cheese, which type should I use?  

The hard-type cheese you're referring to is, in my experience, more often referred to as "farmhouse", rather than "farmer's". It's similar to white Cheddar in some ways.

Farmer's Cheese (again, in my experience, and YMMV) is more often referring to the compressed curd block in a small brick like Philadelphia Cream Cheese.

The confusion may reflect regional differences in practice, a labeling error on the part of the manufacturer, distributor or store, or any of several other possibilities. Usually the recipe will give you an instruction that should enable you to tell which one is meant. If it is grated, sliced, or melted, it's probably the hard white cheese. If mashed or pureed, probably the little package of white curd cheese.


"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list