[Sca-cooks] OP request for information

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jan 17 06:24:08 PST 2009

It's certainly a timely topic.
The NYTimes this am has an article titled:   Feasts and Follies Of
Inauguration Day
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A04E3D71038F936A25752C0A961958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
It's funny that the lady being interviewed in the article is
Ms. Kuck is the director of the Culinary Archives and Museum at Johnson
& Wales University here.
Her father is //Louis Szathmary. /////Part of his collection went there
and the other part went to Iowa.
/Apparently the menu is quite rare. /In that article I linked to
yesterday, Szathmary/ wrote that his
copy was one of three. My copy of his cookbook is boxed but that book did
have 19th century material. I wonder if it has anything in it.

The question is of course did they take something titled 'fig pudding'
and because it was an inaugural ball rename the dish to make it fancier.
It would be nice to have other contemporary accounts too of the ball and
the dishes.

I am impressed with the number of full text 19th cookbooks that are
already online;
one could really do some major projects with those.

Johnnae