[Sca-cooks] serving unusual foods

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Fri May 15 00:43:57 PDT 2009

Patricia Dunham wrote:
>> Eastern Isles of Lochac.  We usually go with 100% pre-bookings, and
>> feasters see the menu (and possibly an ingredients sheet) when they
>> turn up.
>
> I was wondering about that...  There must be a segment of your
> populace that just doesn't do feasts???

Not at all.  We ask people to state any dietary restrictions when
booking, so that we can make sure that everyone gets a good, safe, and
varied meal.  *Very* occasionally, we have to tell someone we just can't
cater for them, but a typical solution is to suggest that they attend at
half price, eat what they can and bring something extra for themselves.

I have encountered one or two people who just don't *do* feasts, but in
their case, the issue is *extreme* fussy eating-- essentially, no feast
menu would make them happy, so they're on their own.

> Here in AnTir, publishing the menu in advance is pretty standard.
> We're generally really high-radar about food allergies and
> sensitivities, as well as vegan/vegetarian, here in Ecotopia.

I'm pretty willing to make adjustments to menu so that everyone can eat,
so it's not such a big deal-- in general, I'd rather people came than
didn't.

> Somehow I'm not surprised though, Antipodeans are tough, <G>, I
> guess.  My best friend for the last 30 yrs is a Kiwi who always said
> there was absolutely no cultural allowance made for delicacy of
> constitution AT ALL, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE -- any sign of weakness
> was taken for malingering!  Of course, she grew up in New Zealand 50
> years ago...

Oh, gods, that has changed... we're in the grip of the latest trendy
food restriction, gluten free-- picking up where lactose intolerance
left off, basically.  I wish they'd just do us all a favour and decide
they were Brussels-sprout intolerant or pheasant-intolerant or something
else that's nicely non-disruptive.

Speaking in general, though, NZers generally and NZ SCAdians especially
tend to be robust and enthusiastic eaters who appreciate good cooking
and are not afraid to try unfamiliar things.  Excessive fussiness tends
to be viewed quite negatively.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo