[Sca-cooks] Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 18:06:16 PDT 2010

Although I am in my 50s also, I have never been a big fan of squash other than pumpkin.  The only squashs that I have enjoyed have been squashes that have been temporaed.  What the Japanese have done to them is amazing.  I also really do not like zucchini, but I, for some insane reason, will eat the fried zucchini that the burger chain called Carl's Jr. makes.  They have a seasoned bread crumb coating which inproves the taste tremendously.

Fortunately, I live on the West Coast and have a constant access to fresh fish and seafood.  I adore fresh fish and seafood.  What I hate to eat is that which is called fish sticks or anything made from Gorton's or Mrs. Paul's.  Yech.

As for really big shrimp, that which the oxymoron calls "jumbo shrimp" is the shrimps first cousin called a "prawn".  According to the article in the Oxford Companion to Food, most Americans fisherman grow prawns, but have a mental lapse and keep selling them as jumbo shrimp.  The article states that the Brits are the rare English speakers who get the name correctly.  It appears that anything over three inches is a prawn and anything under three inches is a shrimp.  Go figure.  Prawn or shrimp, I love them.

Huette