[Sca-cooks] period food/recipes for those new to period cooking?

Kathleen Gormanshaw kgormanshaw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 08:03:20 PST 2010

Pleyn Delite, not Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks.  The copy I made
for feast notes reads:

Stwed Beef      #73 Braised Beef Ribs
beef ribs       1.5 - 2 lbs boneless, 2.5 - 3 lbs with bone
onions, minced  2 - 3
parsley, minced 2 tbsp
currants        2 tbsp
cinnamon        1/2 tsp
pepper  1/4 tsp
allspice        1/4 tsp
salt    1 tsp
red wine        1.5 cups
wine vinegar    2 tsp
Brown beef by roasting it in an open pan in a hot oven for about 30
minutes.  Then put it in a stew pot, casserole, or clay baker with all
other ingredients.  Cover and cook over low heat, or in a 325 F oven,
for 2-3 hours.  (Originally 45 minutes, but much more tender with the
longer time.)

The Fine Cooking recipe was a devil to find:
http://www.finecooking.com/articles/cyor/braised-short-ribs.aspx
This is a website pick & choose version, that isn't letting me
customize as much as I'd like.  Reading the magazine easily let me
choose ingredients to match the Pleyn Delite version.  Fine Cooking's
version does not list currants or (oddly) pepper, but does have
cinnamon and allspice as options.

Eyrny