[Sca-cooks] period food/recipes for those new to period cooking?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 17:25:07 PST 2010

I said:
<<< If anyone else has suggestions of period
dishes similar to modern dishes, I'd be
interested in hearing more suggestions.

Stefan >>>

And got this suggestion:
<<< The Stewd Beef recipe in Plyn Delite is nearly identical to a recipe
for beef ribs in Fine Cooking. The major difference was cooking the
onions first and length of braising time.

Eyrny >>>

Thanks. From the title I wouldn't have expected ribs. I have very few period recipes filed under "ribs".

<<< Is that Beef y-stewed from _Two Fifteenth Century_? What's the Fine
Cooking recipe--a quick google didn't find it. I wouldn't have
expected a modern recipe to use the same spices, or to thicken with
bread.
--
David/Cariadoc >>>

While good questions if someone is claiming a modern recipe is the same as a period one, for this quest I'm not being that exact. I'm mostly interested in finding period dishes which are so similar to what folks unaccustomed to eating medieval foods normally eat, that they would try them without hesitation. The spice differences and the use of thickening agent are less of a concern since there are similar effects used in modern cooking.

I'm looking for period dishes that someone not used to eating even ethnic or foreign foods in the US would be willing to try. The idea is to convince them that some medieval food isn't that strange afterall. And then later introduce them to more unusual food items.

It is, admittedly, a very regional specific thing. I might not have any trouble getting a modern Frenchman to try escargot or a medieval snail dish, either one might be difficult to get an average American to eat.

Another that I just thought of would be one of the medieval pasta and cheese dishes. Macaroni and Cheese being so familiar to most Americans that they probably wouldn't hesitate before trying the medieval dish. For that matter, if you buy the noodles pre-made, this dish might be a good one for a beginning cook and not just an experienced cook new to period cooking.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com