[Sca-cooks] yoghurt sauce

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 14:39:49 PST 2010

If you can find goats milk yoghurt, you'll find that it's LOT more tangy!  I
do make a dip that's not actually tsaziki but is very good:

3/4 cup labineh or drained yogurt
3/4 teaspoon dried mint flakes, crushed
3/4 tablespoon celery leaves, finely chopped
1 5/8 tablespoons leek, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon light yellow mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon nigella seed
1 5/8 tablespoons walnuts, ground
4 loaves pita

1. Mince mint, leek and celery, put them into a mortar or food processor and
pulse several times

2. Turn the greens out onto a paper towel and press (this prevents the
yogurt from becoming  to watery)

3. Combine herbs and cheese.  Add salt and mustard and mix well.

4. Cover and refrigerate.  Let rest for at least 1 hour.

5. Remove from frig, put in a colorful bowl, sprinkle with walnuts and
nigella seed.

6. Serve with pita or other ME flat bread.

Servings: 8

Notes: Take mint, celery leaves and vegetable leeks and strip them all fro
their stalks and cut them up finely with a knife.  throw them in the ortar,
and when they release liquid after pounding, dry the off.  Then mix them
well with shiraz (horgurt drained of its whey).  throw a little salt on it,
as muhc as it will bear and mustard pounded fine and moderate its flavor
with the mustard.  Put it in a vessel and strew its surface with a ittle
nigella.  If you like, put yoghurt called mast and drain it in a skirt of
the water which is in it, and mix it with the mentioned herbs.  If you like,
make it sour, throw in a little Persian yoghurt.  It comes out excellently.

Source: Description of Familiar Foods (Mediieval Arab Cookery Book

This was redacted by Dame Hauviette d'Anjou.

Enjoy!

Kii

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM, otsisto <otsisto at socket.net> wrote:

> oops, forgot, sometimes I add 1 tsp dried minced onion
> and "dried" for the cucumbers mean to take a paper towel and dry them so as
> to not add to much moisture to the yogurt.

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince