[Sca-cooks] Measurement Definition

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 3 04:59:14 PDT 2010

Greetings!  In puzzling out a recipe from "A Proper Newe Booke of
Cokerye" (To Bake Chekins in Lyke Paest) it says to take a "half a dyshe
of butter" to put on top of a chicken (which will be enclosed in a
pastry case).  Subsequently it says to take six egg yolks and a
"dyshfull" of verjuice to make a sauce for later on.

Does anyone know how much a "dyshe" would have been around 1550?  The
Hampton Court cooks found "an obscure dairy measure" from the north of
England (1800) that indicated it was 24 ounces.  Anyone else have a
better definition?

I will say that if you are interested in Tudor cookery, you might like
to go to the Forum (http://www.tudorcook.co.uk/forums/)and join the
discussions.  I've actually gotten motivated to try some cookery other
than confections!

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming