[Sca-cooks] Roman Ketchup?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 15:36:49 PDT 2010

Aelina wrote:
>http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://www.sagnlandet.dk/&ei=PTeJTKLfLpL0swOFyaisCg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlejre%2Bfors%25C3%25B8gscenter%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26prmd%3Div
>
>While researching on a totally unrelated topic I found this "discussion." I
>thought tomatoes were "New World?"

I replied:
>Ah hah! When i use the site's search engine and enter ''ketchup'', i
>get pages that mention garum, which as we all know, was chiefly made
>of fish/fish parts. And garum or at least the wide variety of
>Southeast Asian fish sauces i have tried are far closer in flavor
>and use to soy sauce, aka ketchap in Bahasa Indonesia/Malayu, than
>either one is to tomato ketchup.

Estupido! I hit SEND before including the URL

Here it is, for the Roman Ketchup aka Garum article
http://www.sagnlandet.dk/GARUM-THE-KETCHUP-FOR-THE-ROMANS.1041.0.html
And, yes, they made theirs of fish and brine. No tomatoes involved.

--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita