[Sca-cooks] Roman Ketchup?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Sep 9 19:35:03 PDT 2010

The term ketchup probably derives from the Malay word "kechap" which refers
to a fish sauce.  The word appears in English in 1690.  In the 18th and 19th
Century, ketchup was used as a generic reference to a number sauces with the
only common ingredient being vinegar.  Tomato ketchup is likely a 19th
Century creation.  Garum is a fish sauce, so I would say that the site is
using a Danish word that translates as "ketchup" but has a meaning closer to
that of "kechap."

Bear