[Sca-cooks] Recipes and notes from Nimatnama feast

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 13 05:46:15 PDT 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Actually I have a tin of saffron, but if I used that much, even in 10 lb of
> rice, it would a) be beyond yellow in color and b)be 'way too expensive to
> serve!
>
> Kiri

Yes, when I hear "a tin of saffron", I think of the tin in my kitchen cabinet, which holds an ounce, and is a tin box maybe 2 x 3 x 5 inches. I think, though, that saffron is also sometimes sold in small, snap-top tins such as some ointments and cosmetics, or shoe polish, used to come in, sort of hockey-puck shaped, but much smaller, and holding maybe a gram or two. Maybe that's what is being referred to here?

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter