[Sca-cooks] Recipes and notes from Nimatnama feast

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Sep 13 09:51:44 PDT 2010

A number of the Islamic recipes have quantities
(by weight) for saffron, and I'm generally
surprised by how much it is. Kashk, from the _Ain
i Akbari_ (I suppose one could argue about
whether that counts as Islamic), has .7 oz of
saffron to about 20 lbs of meat.

>Actually I have a tin of saffron, but if I used that much, even in 10 lb of
>rice, it would a) be beyond yellow in color and b)be 'way too expensive to
>serve!
>
>Kiri
>
>On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 6:43 AM, <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>  Now, some questions about a recipe:
>>
>>  Bhat-i-Shahi
>>  10 lb good rice
>>  1 tin of saffron
>>  2 cups ghee
>>  10 cups whole milk
>>  Salt
>>  Whole peppercorns
>>  1 lb slivered almonds
>>
>>  <snip>
>>
>>  Also, how much saffron is in a tin of saffron? Where i live, i find saffron
>>  in many sizes of glass jars and was gifted with some marvelous saffron in a
>>  plastic container, but i haven't noticed tins of saffron...
>>  --
>>  Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
>>  the persona formerly known as Anahita
>

>--
>"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
>invisible to the eye."
>--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com