[Sca-cooks] crepes

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 10:57:24 PDT 2010

A couple of observations:

Blini is not the plural of Blintz.  Blini are made with yeast and are
usually thicker - I often make mine with buckwheat flour.

I was always taught to make the crepe batter then put it through a fine
sieve and the let it rest in the fridge for an hour or two to make sure as
much of the bubbles have discipated as possible.  If you want nice crepes
without all those holes you need to let the batter rest.

While you can now get crepe pans in the US its just as easy to use a small
fry pan with low sides.  We have a non-stick one we ues jut for crepes - I
try very hard to make sure nobody comes near it with anything that can
scratch it because once its scratched it's garbage.

All that being said - use what you have.  I don't usually make my crepes
bigger than about 8 inches - a favorite filling is nutella

Shoshana