[Sca-cooks] crepes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 20 12:49:43 PDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Susan Lin wrote:

> A couple of observations:
>
> Blini is not the plural of Blintz.  Blini are made with yeast and are
> usually thicker - I often make mine with buckwheat flour.

I'm aware of that as the standard wisdom, but I'm unwilling to speak in absolutes on the subject. I was struck when Devra mentioned blini and then described what appeared to me to be blintzes, but it's hard to tell if what we're seeing is some local custom passed on through the generations of one family, an obscure regional tradition, or maybe just a flub of memory. We are, after all, dealing with a relatively uncodified cuisine here; the rules aren't even written down in some cases, let alone set in stone.

Basically, if Devra's mother or grandma says those are blini, I'm prepared to at least accept that there may be some reason why that's the case, even if it's outside the realm of my own experience.

> I was always taught to make the crepe batter then put it through a fine
> sieve and the let it rest in the fridge for an hour or two to make sure as
> much of the bubbles have discipated as possible.  If you want nice crepes
> without all those holes you need to let the batter rest.

Also keeps them from being tough. Ideally, you don't even stir the batter too much without waiting another 20 minutes before cooking...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter