[Sca-cooks] candying citron

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 15:22:12 PDT 2010

Since the spelling is a transliteration of Hebrew it's okay to spell it any
number of ways.  Sukkot, Sukkoth.  The dwelling is a Sukka(h).  The Sukkah
is a temporary structure consisting of 2, 2 1/2, 3 or 3 1/2 sides - never
4.  The roof is open to they sky.  Some people live in the for the week of
the festival others just have meals.  In religious school they would set one
up and the kids would decorate it with symbols of the fall harvest using
dried corn stalks for the "roof" - living in upstate New York that was what
we had - I'm sure in other parts of the world they use what they have.

The "religous" part is waving of the lulav and the etrog - special branches
and a special citrus fruit - one of the big things is that the little nob
that connected the fruit to the tree must remain in tact or it is no longer
"kosher".  There are of course blessings and you wave them together front,
back, left, right and then "all around".

We were taught that it commemorate that the Jewish people were farmers and
as such when it was harvest time they needed to bring the harvest in as
quickly as possible.  Instead of going home each night they built these
temporary shelters to live in while they brought in the harvest.

Shoshana