[Sca-cooks] apple fritters at Pennsic

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Thu Sep 2 16:39:16 PDT 2010

> Okay, there are two types of fritters. In one, you mix up a concoction of
> various items along with flour or dough, mixing them all together and then
> fry blobs of this. In the second, you bread something like apple chunks or
> slices in four or dough and then fry this in oil or butter. In looking
> through the Florilegium frittours-msg file, the former seem to be more
> common. However, I still continue to think of fritters as the latter.
>>
> Stefan

Interesting.

I have been translating 'krapfen' the apparent German variant as 'fritter'
while I think the meaning *might* closer to 'crepe/crisp' in period.  For
a while now it has been bugging me because it is pretty clear that often
the recipes for krapfen are more like cuskenoles (oh noes!), ravioli or
fried/baked pies with rolled out dough than either of the two things
Stefan suggests above.

Another project - investigate the types of krapfen and continue to try to
figure out the nuance of the word that makes them related to the 16th
century mind and perhaps find a better translation word.  Quick, somebody
hand me an apple fritter to give me some brain power!  Donut power
activate :)

Hungrily,

Katherine