[Sca-cooks] apple fritters at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 4 22:36:07 PDT 2010

Cariadoc said:
<<< I tried Martino's fritters this evening. 3/4 lb apples, peeled,
simmered about 20 minutes, then everything but the core mushed,
combined with 1/4 c flour, T sugar, and some sourdough (I assume the
yeast should be beer or wine sediment, which I don't have) and fried.
Assuming that I ended up with 1/2 lb of apple mush, I was using a
much lower ratio of flour and sugar to apple than Euriol did.  >>>

Thanks for your input, but how much sugar? I'm afraid it didn't come through on this end.

Did you use a white sugar? Or a brownish/turbinado type? This is a case where I think the latter might be preferred but no evidence for this other than taste.

<<< It came out too much like applesauce with a cooked crust for my
taste--not as good as my usual Lente Frytoures. At the end I added
more flour, which made it a bit better. >>>

So you think it should have less moisture? Or more crust/bread compared to the fruit portion?

Looking though most of the apple fritters saved in the Florilegium they seem to be done with apple chunks or slices and not with apple mush or apple sauce. This is the only one that seems to be from those. Hardly a comprehensive survey, though.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com