[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

wyldrose wyldrose at tds.net
Wed Sep 8 08:58:35 PDT 2010

Having grown up in a family that was basically illiterate and did things the
way their parents did,    in the winter we always had a pot of 'soup' going
and you added 'left overs' into the soup.  It was cooked on the back of the
stove, and then covered at night and reheated in the morning.   In it went
extra veggies and assorted meat that was left over.  In lean times, you
would add potato, carrot and other  peelings, extra bones left over, and a
little spice. (bay leaf, pepper, celery seed, etc) My Mom would empty the
pot and rewash it every few days, especially if she was making something
like pea soup or 'boiled' dinner.
   There was one time in my life where we were snowed in for over three
months with no outside source of food (Minnesota in the 1960's) and the soup
pot was all we ate.  My parents butchered the farm animals and  we used up
the canned food.  Toward the end it was mostly broth, but no one starved or
went hungry.   I would imagine that this was probably what peasants did to
make food 'stretch' during the 'lean' months.
    As for spices and spoiled food,  I know that 'corning' food  and brining
food helps keep foods from going bad.   If you have to preserve something,
spices would help with the flavor (some meats can be bland)  and the
process.   (brining, smoking, etc)   People who were not familiar with a
culture might think the food was  spoiled when in fact it was preserved and
looked differently than what they had 'back home.'
    There is a show on TV (Discovery channel) that is about a group of
'survivors from an epidemic.  They are trying to survive in a 'hot' climate
(Louisiana I think).  In one episode they try to smoke fish and then end up
tossing it out after it appears moldy and has fly maggots on it.  One of the
other 'colonists' who has a back ground in anatomy and survival grabbed up
the discarded fish and ate it. (and did not get sick.)  He pointed out to
another colonist that was with him, that the food was preserved and the fly
maggots were extra protein.
             Kay