[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 14:30:42 PDT 2010

My husband tells me of a restaurant in Phoebus, VA that had a pot of bean
soup that they claimed was 30 years old (back in the mid-seventies).  They
evidently took it off of the stove and refrigerated it each evening, then
reheated it and added to it the next day.  Jim says he think there was
probably a 30 year old ham bone down in the pot somewhere!  At least that
was their claim.  Not quite the same, but close!

Kiri

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Fields Family Farm <fields at texas.net>wrote:

> <snip...>
>
> As for 'pease porridge in the pot nine days old', I know of a technique
> still used today to prevent food spoilage - put a tight lid on the pot
> while
> it is still hot enough to kill the bacteria, and then let the fire die.  If
> the lid is tight enough, and the porridge was hot enough, no bacteria are
> there to spoil it.  Heat the pot back up the next day when adding more to
> it.  I've heard of 'stews' that were added to for many days this way
> without
> spoilage.
>

> Hrethric
>
> --
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince