[Sca-cooks] candying citron

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 18 01:14:38 PDT 2010

Devra asked:
<<< We are approaching Sukkah, the Jewish fall harvest festival, when they sell beautiful unblemished esrog (etrog) or citrons to use in the ceremonies. >>>

Can someone relate more details about this Sukkah? This is a Jewish holiday that I've not heard of. I assume it is at least period and probably much more ancient.

I'm pretty sure I have recipes and more info about citrons in the Florilegium, although I don't have a file dedicated to this particular fruit. Those interested might wish to try the search engine on the top page of the site.

<<< My roomie does a wonderful watermelon pickle.  Would this be an approapriate treatment for a citron? Naturally she cuts up the watermelon rind, but I once saw half-citrons offered in a store.  (Of course you have to cut the citron up to use it in plump pud etc) but I just wondered if you people had any information or opinions to offer on this. >>>

Are you wishing to candy the rind? or the fruit? or both?

What is "plump pud"?

candied-fruit-msg (41K) 5/ 3/10 Period candied fruit. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-fruit-msg.html

candied-peels-art (16K) 3/21/06 "Candied Fruit Peel" by Dame Alys Katharine.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-art.html

candied-peels-msg (58K) 2/ 2/07 Candied fruit peels. A late period treat.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-msg.html

suckets-msg (7K) 4/ 1/02 Spices, fruit or fruit peel in a sugar syrup
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/suckets-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com