[Sca-cooks] candying citron

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 15:12:26 PDT 2010

I've always seen it spelled, "Sukkot."  It's the Feast of Booths, mentioned
in the Bible/Torah.  Yeah, it's definitely period.  To commemorate the
wandering of the Children of Israel, people go out and make and decorate
booths (temporary dwellings/tabernacles) and have a big picnic and some
music and a religious observance.

In all, kind of like an SCA Event.  Only, "churchy."  Oh, excuse me,
"templey."

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> Devra asked:
> <<< We are approaching Sukkah, the Jewish fall harvest festival, when they
> sell beautiful unblemished esrog (etrog) or citrons to use in the
> ceremonies. >>>
>
> Can someone relate more details about this Sukkah? This is a Jewish holiday
> that I've not heard of. I assume it is at least period and probably much
> more ancient.
>
> I'm pretty sure I have recipes and more info about citrons in the
> Florilegium, although I don't have a file dedicated to this particular
> fruit. Those interested might wish to try the search engine on the top page
> of the site.
>
> <<< My roomie does a wonderful watermelon pickle.  Would this be an
> approapriate treatment for a citron? Naturally she cuts up the watermelon
> rind, but I once saw half-citrons offered in a store.  (Of course you have
> to cut the citron up to use it in plump pud etc) but I just wondered if you
> people had any information or opinions to offer on this. >>>
>
> Are you wishing to candy the rind? or the fruit? or both?
>
> What is "plump pud"?
>
> candied-fruit-msg (41K) 5/ 3/10 Period candied fruit. Recipes.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-fruit-msg.html
>
> candied-peels-art (16K) 3/21/06 "Candied Fruit Peel" by Dame Alys
> Katharine.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-art.html
>
> candied-peels-msg (58K) 2/ 2/07 Candied fruit peels. A late period treat.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-msg.html
>
> suckets-msg (7K) 4/ 1/02 Spices, fruit or fruit peel in a sugar syrup
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/suckets-msg.html
>
> Stefan
> --------
>   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas