[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 7 20:38:54 PDT 2010

Here's a message that may have some info on period leftovers.

It's from this list a while back. Since it is the only message I've seen on period "leftovers" it hasn't (yet) made it into a Florilegium file.

I think the use of leftovers in a hand pie is rather unlikely, although like so much else it depends upon the class level and when and where the statement is made. That retained heat oven takes a fair amount of fuel to fire it up and you don't do it just for leftovers. But you might use it if it were left warm from baking something else. However, we also see various, detailed schedules of what went into an oven and when. I seem to remember that village ovens might get heated only once per week.

We do have evidence of leftovers from the night meal before being eaten for "breakfast". But porridge made from leftover meats and vegetables or beer, is not the same as baking a pie from leftovers.

Anyway, Quelquechoses, anyone?