[Sca-cooks] Fish Empanadas

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 12:15:38 PDT 2011

I've been struck with a silly notion today. I'm going to try making the salmon or perhaps tuna empanadas from Nola, per the marvelous Brighid's translation, using a taiyaki mold.

The recipes are:
Salmon Empanado
You must take the salmon, well-cleaned and washed, and take your spices, which are long pepper, galingale, and ginger, and all this well-ground with salt, but in such a manner that there is not too much spice, but moderate; then make the empanadas, and put the salmon inside. And cast the spices on top and beneath, and all over. And then cover the empanada and let it go to the oven to cook; and when it is cooked, if you wish to eat the salmon cold, make a hole in the empanada under the bottom crust so that the broth comes out, because with it, it cannot be kept well.

and

Palamida En Pan
Take the bonito, and after scaling and cleaning it, cut in into round pieces as big as four fingers, and then make the empanadas. And take the spices which are pepper, and ginger, and salt, and all this well-ground; and you can put saffron if you wish; and then cast these spices upon the fish, and put it in your empanadas and let it go to the oven to cook. And the time to eat the bonito is the month of March; and when you have it to send it to the oven, cast on a little oil.

This is a taiyaki (sorry for the wikipedia reference) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyaki

I'll probably use Markham's wafer batter or something like it http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/wafers.html but perhaps with less sugar since I'm going for a savory little pie.

Have any of you done anything along these lines? It just seems to me that the results should be cute and tasty. I've made these empanadas before as filling for bread rolls, but fish shaped fish pies appeal to my sense of whimsey :-)

I'll let you know how they turn out.

Juana Isabella
West