[Sca-cooks] converting to gluten free

Ursula Whitcher ursula at tutelaries.net
Tue Apr 12 13:06:06 PDT 2011

> Hello,
>
> I wonder if someone more experienced with gluten free cooking can talk
> about how best to make this gluten free? Could I substitute xanthan gum
> and water for the sourdough? I figure I need to play with it, but I'm
> hoping not to re-invent a wheel. :)
>
> Sayyeda al-Kaslaania
>
> *******************
> Counterfeit (Vegetarian) Isf?riy? of Garbanzos
> Andalusian p. A-1
>
> Pound some garbanzos, take out the skins and grind them into flour. And
> take some of the flour and put into a bowl with a bit of sourdough and
> some egg, and beat with spices until it's all mixed. Fry it as before in
> thin cakes, and make a sauce for them.

I don't think you need xanthan gum.  You can make perfectly tasty
fried chickpea-flour foods without any leavening at all (falafel and
pakoras come to mind).  I would suggest omitting the sourdough, using
an extra egg and/or a little bit of water to get a consistency you're
happy with, and making the cakes quite thin.

Ursula Georges.