[Sca-cooks] Looking for a text on Monastic Cooking?

galefridus at optimum.net galefridus at optimum.net
Fri Apr 15 13:04:34 PDT 2011

There does not appear to be such a book, at least not with that title.  I searched the WorldCat database for the title as given, then as many variations as I could think of.  What materials I found were all in languages other than English.  I found items in German -- some doctoral dissertations and some books -- focusing on monastic cookery in specific centuries.  I found one French title that looked pretty close:

Title: La cuisine des monastères /
Author(s): Meneau, Marc; Caen, Annie; Czap, Daniel.
Publication: Paris : Martinière,
Year: 1999
Language: French
Standard No: ISBN: 2732425516; 9782732425511
Descriptor:
Cooking, Medieval.
Monastic and religious life -- History -- Middle Ages, 600-1500.
Monastery gardens.
Kloosters.
Kookkunst.

This one is available at only a few institutions in the North America: NY Public Library, Boston Public Library, University of Chicago, and University of Toronto

One of the German dissertations also looked interesting:

Das Refektorium im Jahreskreis Norm und Praxis des Essens in Klöstern des 14. Jahrhunderts, by Suzanne Fritsch.

It only covers the 14th Century, but it looks like it might do so comprehensively, and it's available at more than a dozen institutions in North America.

Hope this helps.

-- Galefridus, who mundanely is an academic librarian and locates obscure stuff for folks all the time