[Sca-cooks] Looking for a text on Monastic Cooking?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Apr 24 14:00:50 PDT 2011

As Galefridus has already noted this title doesn't appear as such.

I have found a couple of other possible books that carry some of the
words you
mention. These include:  A Taste of Heaven: A Guide to Food and Drink
Made by Monks and Nuns which is described as "and honor the
ingredients and traditions of monastic food making over a thousand
years...". It describes modern products made today however.

Forthcoming is the new volume by Andrew Jotischky. Hermit's Cookbook:
Monks, Food and Fasting in the Middle Ages. I saw a review in a London
paper. It will be out in May in the UK and in July in the states.

The description from the publisher appears here:
http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/detail.aspx?BookId=157981&SearchType=Basic

It proceeds to explore how the ideals of the desert fathers were
revived in both the Byzantine and western traditions, looking at the
cultivation of food in monasteries, eating and cooking, and why
hunting animals was rejected by any self-respecting hermit. Full of
rich anecdotes, and including recipes for basic monk's stew and bread
soup - and many others - this is a fascinating story of hermits,
monks, food and fasting in the Middle Ages.

The author is:

Andrew Jotischky is Professor of Medieval History at Lancaster
University, UK. He has published widely on aspects of medieval
religious history; his principal publications include Crusading and
the Crusader States (2004), and The Penguin Historical Atlas of the
Bible Lands, with Caroline Hull (2009).

Johnnae, playing librarian again