[Sca-cooks] fourth grade help

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:44:22 PDT 2011

Oooh, what a neat project, but I totally understand the difficulties!

I think one thing you might tell her is that there weren't really
"chefs" back then, but that the cook's job was very very important.
They had to feed EVERYONE in the castle and keep their boss, "the lord
of the castle" happy.

As for easy foods, how about making period gingerbread? People
recognize the name, but the form and flavor is often surprising, yet
if you keep the black pepper to a minimum, it's still tasty to the
modern palette.

I don't know what sort of help she would have cooking, but I've also
had luck serving Duke Cariadoc's "Another Crust for Tame Creatures" at
room temperature, baked ahead - we basically made it as mini
chicken/plum quiches in mini tart shells. Not something I'd want a 4th
grader to make by herself, but with help it's definitely doable.

Ilsebet