[Sca-cooks] Mutton

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Apr 28 15:51:09 PDT 2011

I thought I remembered a discussion here recently on mutton and where
to find it, but I'm not finding the messages so perhaps it was
somewhere else.

One suggestion was halal butchers. We have at least one recipe that
specifies mutton, for which we've used lamb, and I wanted to see how
much difference it would make so I looked up local halal butchers.
Yesterday I picked up two pounds of meat (including the bones--I got
about 1 1/4lb of meat out of it) at about $8/lb, which struck me as
expensive. When we made the dish, we didn't notice any change in
taste at all, which set me wondering whether the mutton was really
mutton.

Today I stopped at a different halal butcher, after calling to check
that they did have mutton (sheep not goat? yes. Leg? yes.). After a
brief conversation it became clear that what they meant by "mutton"
was lamb. I was told that they could special order meat from an adult
sheep, it would cost less, but I would have to be ordering a lot of
it.

Anyone else had better luck finding mutton?
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com